First off, a massive thank you to everyone for liking and reblogging posts in my song series! It was really fun to make, even though around Sunday I wasn’t sure if I had the energy to finish it. I’m glad I did, though, and it turned out to be a positive way to cap off 2012.
Second, an even bigger thank you to the people who have been in my life from this past year and beyond. 2012 was fantastic — from randomly trekking to the east coast to see How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying to living in Prague for four months to seeing all of Ireland in a week to working with my best friends from high school all summer to getting an apartment with someone I love dearly to the Village Voice to a semester filled with reaching numerous academic, personal, and professional goals to spending last night watching Catfish and Say Yes to the Dress until 4pm today with some of the most precious angels in my life, I’ve been blessed.
So I guess for 2013 (the year I turn 21!), my goals are to be fearless and a bit reckless rather than holding myself back from things that terrify my. Just to go with my gut. While I’m pushing myself forward, I also need to learn how to ease up with being so harsh on myself. I’m my most awful critic.
Other 2013 goals:
- Travel to the West Coast, or at least book plans to travel to the West Coast.
- Keep up my grades.
- Continue to make a good base for myself as a writer so that graduating in 2014 feels a little less terrifying.
- Be touristy in New York again! I missed doing fun stuff around the city this year, especially since I wasn’t really back in it until August.
- Meet new people and grow closer to the ones I already have in my life.
- Do more writing projects on here like Top 50 2k12.
I love you all and take care. Be sure to tell me your probably ridiculous New Year’s Eve stories.
I think my biggest goal for 2013 is to just be happier. Things only sucked when I told myself they did. Life could be great if I weren’t so down on myself all the time and waiting for people to criticize me.
2011 happened to be a great year. The last quarter of it became a little sad and stressful, but I won’t let that deter from the amazing things that have happened since January.
I feel like this has been my most productive year. In my classes, I pushed myself to be the best student I could be. All A’s and one B per semester. The papers I have written were some of the best academic pieces I have ever created.
And outside of school, I joined the newspaper. That has been one of my better decisions. Getting to go to Broadway shows for free, then having my work published is such a great feeling.
It’s been a year of firsts for me: first job (America Reads), first time leaving the country (Paris), and first internship (Allure). All of those firsts helped me feel like I have finally grown up and can successfully live on my own in the real world.
And the last quarter of the year really has been so sad. Losing my grandpa, who was the man who fulfilled the job my father didn’t, was probably the worst loss I have ever experienced. Then my grandma and uncle were both in the hospital around the same time; luckily, both are home and recovering quickly. The holidays have been a little sadder this year.
I can’t even begin to thank the people in my life who have helped me through all of this. My friends from high school know how important they are to me; the ones who have stuck around and have helped me through the tough times as well as supported and celebrated with me during the happier times, are incredible people. I am so thankful for each and every one of you.
Then, the college friends. The greatest thing 2011 has brought me is a collection of magnificently weird people who have become a big part in my life. Again, you each know who you are. You guys have taught me just how important it is to have fun and be myself. I can’t even begin to mention the great moments, whether it’s hanging out at a bar at midnight on Easter or drunkenly watching Doctor Who during a hurricane, I am so thankful for all of you, and I love you dearly.
In retrospect, I guess I can say I’ve had a pretty good year.
- Make the most of Prague
- Get an editorial internship at a music magazine
- Write a ton of pieces for my wordpress blog/get more followers.
- Continue building old friendships and making new ones
- Journal more
- (Hopefully) Get an apartment in NYC (this is such a tricky one, but I want it so bad)
- Be wise/frugal with money
- There are so many more, but they’re a lot more personal :)
I love you all and thanks to anyone who kept reading. Happy new year everyone!
5 weeks brittany i will give you 5-6 weeks of listening because kelly and i sent you the cd the week after it came out :D
GOD IT FEELS SO MUCH SHORTER. Break and finals threw me off.
Hello, my angels ~
It’s here and ready to begin tomorrow: My Totally Subjective List of 50 Songs I Enjoyed in 2012. Catchy, right?
- I tried to cut these down to 25 but it literally pained me to delete certain ones, and when I reached 50, it was a hell of a lot easier to say “bye” to some randos that wanted to sneak their way on.
- There is absolutely no formula to this whatsoever. It’s literally a collection of songs I really enjoyed this year. Some are singles while some are off of albums I’ve enjoyed but not technically released as singles. Some were *technically* released in 2011, some were actually released this year. If they were a stray song off an album and not a heavily played or released single from this year, then the album had to be from 2012. For singles, if I saw it on someone else’s list, I know it’s okay to include on my year-end list. Mostly because my sensibilities of what had been popular this year were skewed after living in Prague for four months. #whoops
- It’s a completely random list genre-wise, and not entirely on purpose. Lots of pop/Top 40 “shit,” Pitchfork darlings, etc. Just a random collection of things I enjoyed. There are so many other songs/albums I enjoyed, but these have all been stuck in my head the longest.
- I’m not writing the blurbs in any sort of order. It’s kind of random except for the Top 10, which will all be posted on December 31st and are the first ten songs on the Spotify playlist.
- Leave me your thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Or just tell me your favorite songs along the way because discovering new or forgotten things is always nice.
That’s it! I’ll have a tag for this and a link in each post to find all the others on my page, as well as the playlist. Enjoy!!